Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Russian Mafia on these Muthas

I am never buying potting soil from Walmart again. I guess I should have known that the grocery store with a McDonalds in it wouldn't specialize in lawn and gardening materials, but whatevs.

MONTHS ago, we bought a bag of Miracle Gro so we could transplant all of the awesome plants I had brought from my apartment, along with some new ones we got to bring some life to the house. Turns out, we brought more life into the house than we bargained for.

A fate worse than death. (And no, I didn't let Linus eat it.)
Worms. All up in muh plants. We didn't notice them at first, but then we began to realize in horror that they were all throughout the soil. And a few randos will escape now and then, to meet a fate worse than death (that usually ends in death): my cats.

I trusted you, Walmart. I trusted your low prices and smiley face mascot... I even trusted your brand name potting soil, thinking it was safe. But you've brought a plague onto my house that even the Capulets couldn't top, and now I hate you forever. Maybe more than Home Depot.

The worst part is that we bought a GIANT bag and used it to pot every SINGLE plant in this house. Six. Six plants (Mantis, Spike, Laverne and Shirley, Horace and Grimace) all with wormy disgustingtons in them. Actually it's mainly Mantis and Spike that we're having the problems with, but they are creeping me the fuck out. (And yes, we name our plants. Are you really that surprised? I sleep with a pink gingham pillow every night.)

I've tried everything. I've searched for solutions in the google machine, we tried to flood them out, to starve them by NOT watering, we've tried it all. We really wanted to avoid using pesticides, mainly because the small furry ones in this house listen to discipline about as well as the worms themselves.

But I am at my breaking point, y'all. I had nightmares about these damn things, and I just called K at work hyperventilating.

I can't take it anymore. And I'm about to go Russian Mafia on these muthas. Pesticides, I'm giving you an ass slap and sending you into the game. And Spike and Mantis, your new home will be the naughty stool in the garage for awhile. I love you both, but it's all for the best.

5 comments:

  1. I don't understand. Worms are good for the earth! Why are you trying to get rid of them?

    *baffledface*

    ReplyDelete
  2. They might be good for the earth, but they're not good in my house. Don't worry, I've been putting them outside where they belong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive heard warm soapy water can kill bugs and not your plants. just a little bit of dish soap in water and thereya go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion! I might just have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off I would like to say terrific blog! I had a quick
    question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.
    I've had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there. I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Appreciate it!

    Here is my website :: I agree with that

    ReplyDelete