Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Pill Recall

I've been on the birth control pill since I was 16--over 10 years. It's become part of my daily life, so much so that I don't bother to set an alarm for it anymore, the time I take it is ingrained in my brain.

Norgestimate pack-the pills in affected
lots were put in upside-down.
I received a letter in the mail today from my health insurance company that Glenmark, the company that produces the brand of pill I'm on, has issued a recall for specific lots of the drug. Someone at the company screwed up and flipped the plastic holder for the blisters upside down.

Yes, that's right--the sugar pills were at the top.

Somebody call Maury, because we are going to have one hell of a nationwide rise in unplanned pregnancies.

When I contacted my pharmacy, they said they don't keep records of past lot numbers. So there's no way of telling if the pills I took last month were part of the recall. The lot I'm currently taking is off by ONE digit. So I'm safe for this month. But how many others aren't?

We rely on these companies to provide us with a safe product. We trust that the medication we're taking is what it says it is. We trust the pharmacists to provide us with information about what we're taking, how to pronounce the twenty-syllable names of the drugs and what not to take it with. I have been taking the pill so long that I decline to speak with the pharmacist each time.

But are we getting too comfortable? Do we trust these companies too much? There's an element of human error here, which has the potential for a BIG impact on the health of many.

This makes me squirm. Like snakes in my bed squirm. And I don't know about you, but I'll be using additional forms of contraception for oh, about... the next five years.

3 comments:

  1. oh no... thats terrible. Luckly my pills have the sugar pills an obvious color from the reg. pills. Like sugar pills are red, normal are white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, that's a freaking nightmare - you mean they actually get away with it? I'd have thought they'd get their asses sued big time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a nightmare--think about all of the women who may be affected. I hope you're right, Icy--I bet people will try to sue, but I fear the company will claim misuse or something along those lines. And that's good, Aubrey. The problem with the colors if you have generic is there is no consistency across brand names. So if you have generic, the pharmacy can switch your brand at any time and the colors don't always match the last pack you had. It gets a bit confusing.

    ReplyDelete