Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Inertia

It seems like EVERY person in my life is going through a major transitional period. They are either engaged, pregnant, just had a baby, just got married, are buying a house, or are switching jobs--starting exciting new careers.

I... am doing none of the above.

And I feel a little like I'm standing in the ocean, my feet cemented into a layer of wet sand, watching the world change around me while I stand still.

It's not that I want to trade lives with any of them, and I'm genuinely happy for each one for the blessings they have. It's just that it makes me realize that nothing in this world is ever going to stop changing, even for a second. Even when I think it will always be exactly like it is. Even when I HOPE it will.

It won't be. It can't.

And I suppose that's a good thing, because we can't just stay the same forever. We need to change, and grow... to evolve.

Some periods in your life are full of change, and others are a bit more stationary. I guess when you're in your late twenties, it's natural to look around, check out what everybody else is doing, and take inventory of your own life.

But I feel a bit overwhelmed by everything changing at once. Like I need to run and catch up with everybody else. (For what? To DO what? Is life a race?) I guess it's left me wondering what path I'm on, in life, in my career.

And how is it all going to turn out?

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, everyone is getting on with their life, changing, marrying, babies, buying houses. I feel like I am the only one not getting started but then again what exactly do I want to get started?....very deep post I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Poke. It sure seems that way, doesn't it? And then I ask myself what are we racing for? We all just want to be happy, right? And I guess that means different things (at different times) for different people...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am engaged, but, I've noticed the "trend". EVERYONE I know has noticed a trend like this for them. Almost everyone I graduated with is either: married, pregnant, had a kid, both, or has a better career than me.

    It's just WEIRD! And then, they form this, like, pregnancy/baby club/marriage club and if you don't fit in, well, then, screw you!

    I HAVE NO FRIENDS, anymore, because of this! :( I went to college and everyone else got married and became parents.

    http://forevera90skid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Liz... I guess it's just a life cycle that people seem to follow. I think it's just a little difficult to relate when you're not all in the same boat, you know?

    ReplyDelete