Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snowflowers

Sunflowers that K wired to the back fence for me :)
I was having a really bad day a few weeks ago. I couldn't put my finger on it; it just didn't go as well as I'd planned. My computer wasn't working well downstairs, so I had to come upstairs to use the desktop. I hate having to do that, because I miss all the action downstairs when K is home. I was moping about how my programs were taking forever to load when I looked down and saw the corner of our yard, where five dead sunflowers were wired to our back fence in the middle of several feet of snow. The corners of my mouth turned up in a Grinch-like smile, and I forgot what I was so upset about.

Okay, I know this sounds crazy--but to me it makes perfect sense. You see, they're wired there because over the summer when we planted them, the heads got so large that they started to wilt. I was so sad when I saw how our beautiful flowers, the living beings K and I had planted together in the backyard, falling over, preparing to die. When he saw how sad I was, K went out back with some wire and tied each flower individually to the fence, so they wouldn't fall over and make me sad. When I saw what he had done, I couldn't help but burst into tears. He just wanted to make me happy. He saw how upset I was, and he fixed them for me. Never in my life have I had someone do something so sweet for me. And in the middle of this blizzardy winter, there are five sunflowers standing upright in my back yard, with little caps of snow on top of them, reminding me of how I am the luckiest girl in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment