Friday, July 12, 2013

The 30 Panic

To elaborate a little more on yesterday's post, I didn't expect 30 to hit me quite as hard as it has. And it was a sudden panic, not a slow transition. 

I can't remember exactly what it was that set me off, but I think just being at that age where I'm surrounded by marriage and babies has pushed me into it. I mean, there was one day a few weeks ago where THREE different people on my newsfeed got married.

Another really tough part of this panic is the pressure I feel like I'm putting on K. With my brother and sister both getting married within one year, we've gotten many friendly jabs from friends and family about being "next". Which I can totally handle, in small doses. But the cumulative total of jabs started to wear on me after awhile. Because, doesn't everyone understand--I want these things, too! We both do. But we both have to be READY and do it on our own time. Key word: BOTH. Two lives here, not just one.

The crazy thing about this 30-panic is that I'm SO genuinely happy for my friends who are getting married and having babies. I really am. Like, drop-to-my-knees-sobbing, happy. My friends are my favorite people in the whole world, and I'm SO happy they're getting what they've always wanted. 

I felt a lot of guilt for a long time, thinking this made me a bad person. How can you be happy for someone and sad for yourself at the same time? It took me a few months to be able to separate that this sadness doesn't mean I DON'T want them to have these things, I just want them too. 

And truth be told, I'm not even sure I'm READY for any of it. I just know that I want it, and I think I'm readier the closer I get to 30. 

I have good days and bad days, and I'm trying to just embrace the good and recognize that the bad days are just a good opportunity to reflect on my life. 

And what I really wish I could say out loud in an actual spoken conversation K, what I want to tell him is that even though marriage and babies definitely INVOLVE him, I'm not blaming him for this sadness. This is a personal challenge that I need to face myself. And come to terms with the fact that I'm happy with my life as-is, I'm just in a bit of a quarter-life crisis. Or third-life. Sweet jeebus. There's that panic again.

2 comments:

  1. I'll let you in on a little secret: being 30 is an awful lot like being in your 20s, except people are less likely to judge you for staying home in yoga pants on a Saturday night.

    I know it's hard when you see all your friends getting the things that you want. But just know that the ones getting married are probably jealous of you because you don't have to spend every waking hour worrying about whether you can put Auntie Mary and Cousin Steve at the same table after the Great Christmas Screaming Match of 2010. And the ones who have children are probably envious of your ability to sleep through the night, get up late on the weekends and generally leave the house without smelling of puke or poop.

    Chin up, kiddo. I'll be waiting on the other side of 30 with the booze ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Melbs. This means more than you know. :) and I can't wait for that post-30 drink!

      Delete